Jun

City of Champions

I remember being a little kid falling asleep as Johnny Most’s raspy voice called the game. I remember watching games on TV and emulating Most’s voice as I called the game myself. I remember my first Celtics game when my Dad offered to buy me a shirt of any player I wanted. “I was going to get a Larry Bird one, but then I remembered that Dee Brown is my favorite player,” I told my family later. (That shirt was dope though, it was black and had Dee with his no-look dunk for the slam-dunk competition, plus I had the same Reebok Pumps!) I remember getting Reggie Lewis’ autograph because I won a readathon for MS. I remember Chris Ford’s hair. I remember Reggie Lewis’ death. I remember the Celtics drafting Acie Earl. I remember when ML Carr did an excellent job of tanking so we could get Tim Duncan. I remember the shock of the Spurs winning the lottery. I choose to not remember the Rick Pitino era. I refuse to remember Vitaly Potapenko, Kenny Anderson, Ron Mercer, Andrew DeClerq, Tyrus Edney, Pervis Ellison and Zan Tabak. I remember Antoine’s wiggle. I remember Paul Pierce shooting jumpers yelling out the names of the 9 players drafted ahead of him. I remember Paul Pierce getting stabbed in the stomach and playing two weeks later. I remember that without Tony Battie last night couldn’t have happened. I remember not being able to watch anymore because the team was so hapless. I remember hoping for a resurgence with Greg Oden. I remember trying to convince myself that Yi Jianlian might be the next Yao.

I’ll remember 17.

I watched every game, fell asleep as a little kid to the Celtics, the Bruins, the Red Sox and woke up every Sunday to the Patriots. I remember when the Bruins playoff streak ended, when the Red Sox suffered through the Butch Hobson era and when the Patriots went 1-15. The only thing that upsets me is that I spent my first 18 years of life in Boston and no team ever won a championship. For the last 8 years I have lived in New York state, since that time, Boston has won 3 Superbowls, 2 World Series and an NBA Championship. Hell even the Revolution have been in the finals in 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007–although they seem to be the Buffalo Bills of soccer. I’m not sure I can ever move back, I don’t want to ruin this streak of excellence.

Boston once more is the City of Champions. And I couldn’t be happier to be forever a Bostonian.

6 Responses to “City of Champions”

1. 1 shatraw
    June 18, 2008 at 12:13 pm

i didn’t read any of this post, because it pertains to the NBA, a league that everyone knows is rigged. bottom line, boston paid more for the trophy.

although i would like to mention that kobe bryant is a little bitch, and even though he’s great, i hope he never wins without shaq and can’t validate his career that way.

fuck. you. kobe.

next time i see you with your fucking kids at the press conference, wearing some retarded outfits, i swear to christ i’m kicking you in the head when i move back to LA. you have enough money, hire a stylist and try not to make them regret every moment of their childhood.

does anyone remember when kobe was a rapist? only not. because what a woman says doesn’t count if you can pay for good lawyers.

2. 2 shatraw
    June 18, 2008 at 12:16 pm

ok, i just read this and it pertains more to boston.

lame lame lame.

GO GIANTS!

3. 3 The Roomate
    June 18, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Kobe wasn’t a rapist, he just nailed the wrong whore. Its tough to win a rape case when you have so many different semen samples on your underwear. Who won that case? Kobe’s wife. Did you see the apology-rock he bought her? Cha-ching!

4. 4 slanch
    June 18, 2008 at 1:04 pm

just because she was slutty doesn’t mean he didn’t rape her.

best chant of the playoffs, whenever kobe would take free throws “No means No”

5. 5 The Roomate
    June 18, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Well, our infallible legal system said he was not guilty, and they never let sports celebrities off easy. Are you being unpatriotic? Get our giant flag and meet me at Yankee Stadium, the hallowed ground of all things America.

6. 6 the sister
    June 18, 2008 at 1:39 pm

“I was going to get a Larry Bird one, but then I remembered that Dee Brown is my favorite player.”

I totally remember that.